Village of North Hills, Nassau County
Click here for additional photos
Built between 1916 and 1920, Inisfada was originally the country estate of Nicholas and Genevieve Brady and is the only known example in New York State of the Philadelphia-based architect, John Torrey Windram’s work. Mrs. Brady donated the estate to the Jesuit order in 1937 and it has served as a retreat house for 75 years. The National Register eligible site comprises 33 of its original 122 acres and reflects the landscape tastes of both owners. The Tudor-revival main house is largely intact and retains most of its original details. In June 2012, the Order announced the retreat’s closing and has subsequently put the property up for sale and it may be under contract at this time. It is a property to watch because it is a large site that is not landmarked which would allow for demolition and redevelopment as a new subdivision.
2014 STATUS: LOST
• SPLIA nominated as Watch Property due to its large site that is not landmarked, allowing for demolition and redevelopment as a new subdivision
• Village officials not interested in finding other alternatives for use
• Building demolished in 2013