Village of Southampton, Suffolk County
Click here for additional photos
The Henry Rhodes house was built for a Southampton ship captain, and is one of only a handful of pre-Revolutionary War 18th century dwellings in a Village founded in 1640. The structure has been vacant and neglected since the 1980s, and was moved to its current location in the 1920s. Its exterior was significantly altered for commercial use in the 1930s. Nonetheless, much of its original interior structure and architectural detail is remarkably well preserved. The building is threatened by demolition. A permit was requested but temporarily denied because the Village Code calls for additional review when dealing with buildings “of historical interest” (older than 75 years). Reuse is complicated by current County environmental regulations that hinder expanded uses at the site—there are sewerage issues affecting underground water and the adjacent Agawam Lake.
2014 STATUS: THREATENED
• Nominated by Town Historian
• Property sold to private owner in 2014
• Town historian has not been able to make contact with new owner