Village of Freeport, Nassau County
Click here for additional photos
The Meadow Brook bank was constructed in 1929—at the time, the tallest building on Long Island east of Jamaica. It played an important role in Freeport’s commercial development, and its design aspires to a vision of Long Island development that is very different than what transpired—it represents a denser more urban sensibility. During WWII, an observation deck was built on the roof to monitor ‘enemy plane’ activity. It is distinctly reminiscent of an Art Deco version of the Flatiron building, and was designed by the Hoggs Brothers—several of their other bank buildings are on the National Register. The building façade features Mayan reliefs, and the lobby uses Caen stone marble and bronze. It has been empty since the 1980s. The Local Landmarks Preservation Commission wanted to designate this building, but Trustees are reluctant.
2014 STATUS: IMPROVED
• LPC wanted to designate building, Trustees reluctant
• 2014 RFP’s for redevelopment of the site opened
• Two proposals being reviewed for reuse as condo/hotel conversion with ground floor commercial spaces and new construction on vacant land