SPLIA’s Historic Houses are open for the season! Click below for additional information, including visitation hours.
Main and Garden Street
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Sag Harbor became a United States port of entry in 1789, with a growing population involved in servicing whalers, coasters and West Indian trade ships. The Custom House was owned by Sag Harbor’s first United States Custom Master, Henry Packer Dering. The daily activities of Dering, his wife and nine children are vividly portrayed in the room settings of a formal dinner, office, children’s room, kitchen, pantry and laundry.
JOSEPH LLOYD MANOR
Lloyd Lane and Lloyd Harbor Road
Lloyd Harbor, NY 11743
Completed in 1766 for Joseph Lloyd–the second lord of the Manor of Queens Village–the Joseph Lloyd Manor House is a handsome center hall colonial building that was the seat of a 3000-acre country estate that came under British occupation during the Revolutionary War. Built by Connecticut craftsmen, it remained in the Lloyd family until 1876 and eventually became the country house of Mrs. Anna Matheson Wood who donated the property to SPLIA in 1968. Today, Lloyd Manor is furnished to the 1793 inventory of John Lloyd II and occupies a spectacular 2.5-acre setting that overlooks Lloyd Harbor and a formal garden from the Wood era. Lloyd Manor was the home of Jupiter Hammon, a slave who became the first published black poet. Interpretive exhibits provide the history and documentation for the installation.
55 Old Post Road
East Setauket, NY 11733
As a complex, the Sherwood-Jayne Farm, landscape, and accessory structures represent a continuum of architectural design, construction, and rural site planning that stretches over two centuries. Originally built circa 1730 as a classic Long Island lean-to salt box dwelling, the house and agricultural setting were maintained as an operational farmstead for over 150 years by members of the Jayne family. In 1908, the property was acquired by SPLIA founder Howard C. Sherwood to showcase his lifetime interest in collecting, studying and “living with antiques.” “Restored” by Everett Chandler of Boston, one of the leading Restoration/Colonial-Revival architects of the time, the house contains period furniture and objects, and features original Jayne-era hand-painted floral wall frescoes that mimic wallpaper in the east parlor. Located in a bucolic setting, the house maintains its nineteenth century agrarian context with hayfields, meadows, woodlot orchard, and sheep grazing in the adjoining pasture.