Sag Harbor became a United States port of entry in 1789 with a growing population involved in servicing whalers, coasters, and West Indian trade ships. Henry Packer Dering, Sag Harbor’s first United States custom master, acquired the property in the early 1790s. The house was originally located at the corner of Union and Church Streets before moving to its current site in 1948 by the Old Sagg-Harbour Committee in order to save it from demolition. In 1966, Preservation Long Island (formerly the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities) acquired the property. Today, it is interpreted to reflect the work and daily activities of Dering, his wife, and nine children.
912 Main Street (Corner of Main and Garden Streets)
Sag Harbor, NY 11963
Hours & Rates
Memorial Day Weekend through Columbus Day
Memorial Day-June: Saturday & Sunday, 10:00AM – 5:00PM
July & August: Open 7 days a week, 10:00AM – 5:00PM
September to Columbus Day: Saturday & Sunday, 10:00AM – 5:00PM
$3 Children (7-14)
Education Programs at Custom House
On-Site Education: Students learn about the first laws passed in the United States that enabled tax levies to be collected at the Federal Port of Entry in Sag Harbor. A house hunt at the Dering home reveals objects of the international sea trade and access to primary documents from the Dering family allow students to examine history from the American Revolution to the Gold Rush.